Making the Most of Summer Professional Development
Many educators, myself included, look forward to summer to improve our craft and learn new practices through relevant professional development opportunities. For administrators, digital coaches, and trainers, it is imperative to support and encourage teachers in their lifelong learning journey.
Professional learning is an ongoing process that provides current educators with the knowledge, skills, and classroom strategies to transform teaching and learning. Continuous professional learning is essential for all educators.
One of the many challenges that district and campus leaders face is keeping teachers engaged. How often do you hear from teachers, when it comes to traditional staff development, that it doesn’t apply, is impractical, is too fast, is too slow, is too infrequent, or is just plain boring? Teachers want training that’s timely, digestible, purposeful, enjoyable, relevant, and impactful!
With limited budgets, people, and resources, districts are becoming very innovative when creating and providing professional development opportunities during the summer as well as for the upcoming school year.
Here is a list of engaging training formats that can help keep educators enthused and interested offering a fresh approach to a myriad of learning styles and training methods:
- Flipped PD
- Engaged PD
- Lunch and Learns
- Conference Style PD
- Blended PD
- Online PD
- Self-directed PD
Additionally, identifying some best practices will also help ensure teachers are getting the most out of the professional development opportunities they participate in:
- Let teachers decide the training topics they’d like to take in advance (with input from administration).
- Use apps such as Dotstorming, a real-time group brainstorming and decision app. It takes the process of dot voting online to allow groups of people to collaborate on a topic.
- Provide follow-up training and continued learning on topics of interest.
- Encourage peer collaboration and allow educators to learn from each other by sharing ideas and strategies using Pinterest or personal learning communities.
- More tips for effective PD can be found here.
We’re with You Every Step of the Way
From implementation to teacher training, Learning.com guides educators as they introduce digital literacy to their classrooms. Our implementation specialists create a customized plan that is aligned to district goals. Our Education Services team offers onsite or online training to ensure the onboarding process goes smoothly for all involved.
For more information, visit our Professional Development Training Catalog.
Need additional professional development resources? Check these out!