Common Core State Standards
Meet the Standards with Aha!Math and EasyTech
The Common Core State Standards are designed to be robust and relevant to the real world, reflecting the knowledge and skills that our young people need for success in college and careers.
Aha!Math and EasyTech can help your students meet these rigorous, new standards.
About the Common Core State Standards
The Common Core State Standards Initiative is a state-led effort coordinated by the National Governors Association Center for Best Practices and the Council of Chief State School Officers. The Standards have been adopted in 48 states and US territories.
The Standards are designed to be robust and relevant to the real world, reflecting the knowledge and skills that our young people need for success in college and careers. With American students fully prepared for the future, our communities will be best positioned to compete successfully in the global economy.
Building on the excellent foundation of standards states have laid, the Common Core State Standards are the first step in providing our young people with a high-quality education. It should be clear to every student, parent, and teacher what the standards of success are in every school.
The Standards provide a consistent, clear understanding of what students are expected to learn, so teachers and parents know what they need to do to help them.
With students, parents and teachers all on the same page and working together for shared goals, we can ensure that students make progress each year and graduate from school prepared to succeed in college and in a modern workforce.
© Copyright 2010. National Governors Association Center for Best Practices and Council of Chief State School Officers. All rights reserved.
The Math Standards
The Common Core Standards for Math set a rigorous definition of college and career readiness.
Beginning in kindergarten with an understanding of how numbers correspond to quantities, and progressing through complex mathematical modeling in high school, the Common Core standards develop a depth of mathematical understanding and an ability to apply mathematics to novel situations.
We can help students and teachers through the early years of this progression.
Aha!Math can help!
Aha!Math is an engaging online K-5 curriculum that is fully aligned to Common Core Standards for K-5 education. Like the Common Core standards themselves, Aha!Math builds students' foundational skills for success in their later school years, college, and careers.
Aha!Math's curriculum units focus on key foundational math concepts, provide opportunities to build conceptual understanding and procedural fluency, strengthen discovery and analytical skills, and cultivate student's creative problem-solving skills.
Aha!Math's class management tools let you get started in minutes. You can: create and change classes, preview and assign curriculum lessons, individualize instruction, track student progress in real time, and even create your own lessons.
Aha!Math provides exactly what you need to help K-5 students progress through these new, rigorous standards.See examples of how Aha!Math units align with Common Core standards »
New Skills for a New World
College and career readiness increasingly require that students be able to express themselves through language across a wide variety of media and technology. Students need to be prepared to read, write and research — across academic disciplines and in any media available to them today.
To address these needs, the Common Core standards for English and Language Arts include requirements for 21st century skills. The standards now include skills for the use of technology and for the production and critical analysis of media.
These are not skills that have been traditionally supported by English and Language Arts courses.
EasyTech and the ELA Standards
EasyTech is a great way to integrate these new skills seamlessly into your English and Language Arts curriculum and support a number of these essential tech literacy and 21st century skills requirements.
Let's look at how EasyTech can help you meet Common Core requirements.
Here's a list of Common Core standards that EasyTech can help you address:
- With some guidance and support from adults, use technology, including the Internet, to produce and publish writing as well as to interact and collaborate with others; demonstrate sufficient command of keyboarding skills to type a minimum of one page in a single sitting.
- Gather relevant information from multiple print and digital sources, using search terms effectively; assess the credibility and accuracy of each source; and quote or paraphrase the data and conclusions of others while avoiding plagiarism and following a standard format for citation.
- Conduct short research projects to answer a question (including a self-generated question), drawing on several sources and generating additional related, focused questions that allow for multiple avenues of exploration.
- Introduce a topic clearly, previewing what is to follow; organize ideas, concepts, and information into broader categories; include formatting (e.g., headings), graphics (e.g., charts, tables), and multimedia when useful to aiding comprehension.
- Include multimedia components (e.g., graphics, sound) and visual displays in presentations when appropriate to enhance the development of main ideas or themes.
- Analyze the purpose of information presented in diverse media and formats (e.g., visually, quantitatively, orally) and evaluate the motives (e.g., social, commercial, political) behind its presentation.
- Consult reference materials (e.g., dictionaries, glossaries, thesauruses), both print and digital, to find the pronunciation and determine or clarify the precise meaning of key words and phrases.