Online Science for Elementary and
This interactive, supplementary science curriculum leverages multiple learning styles to help build foundational science skills and raise student achievement. Instructional models make teaching difficult concepts easier and differentiate instruction in Life, Physical, and Earth and Space science.
Aha!Science is a Proven Solution that Raises Student Achievement
Students using Aha!Science are nearly four times more likely than non-users to achieve above grade level success in the end-of-grade state assessment. Grounded in proven strategies and pedagogies that work, Aha!Science builds a mental model in students’ minds that reinforce science methodology and gives them foundational skills needed to succeed in class.
Aha!Science builds foundational skills in physical, earth & space, and life sciences, and reinforces skills across other core areas:
- Games build fluency in science concepts and vocabulary
- Students write and explain their thinking in journals, reinforcing LA skills
- Curriculum links back to math skills
Aha!Science Reaches Every Learner
Multiple styles of instruction solidify connections to your current curriculum and benefit every student. Scaffolded units build upon science concepts according to mastery level and allow educators to prescribe differentiated instruction. Instructional components informed by proven strategies provide background knowledge and build context so students are more successful in class.
Flexible implementation models enable educators to use Aha!Science in a variety of settings with an array of different styles and levels of learners.
Aha!Science Builds Foundational Skills and Science Literacy for Middle and High School Success
Aha!Science enhances current curriculum and fills gaps that it may not be addressing in order to develop and strengthen foundational skills. Each unit in the curriculum moves students from instruction to practice to assessment while they master each concept.
- Instructional Modules and Lessons present the ideas central to each unit
- Games and Activities provide both hands-on digital and physical application of the learning
- Quizzes inform what the students know and can do
Aha!Science Supports Your Existing Curriculum
Aha!Science is a cost-effective way to protect and enhance your investment by reinforcing topics from your current curriculum. It helps districts adapt to new standards, and fills gaps that current curriculum might not be addressing.
Aha!Science is easy to incorporate into current curriculum with simple implementation strategies tailored to your specific usage requirements (interactive whiteboard, all-class, individual assignment or practice, homework, summer school, etc). Content is grouped in thematic units, making it easy to find and implement material aligned to those same concepts in your curriculum.
Science Curriculum Supports Marzano's Nine High Yield Instructional Model Strategies
Identifying Similarities & Differences
Enhance students' understanding of and ability to use knowledge by engaging them in mental processes that involve identifying ways items are alike and different.
By applying conceptual understanding and elements of the scientific process, students learn to and then practice comparing information and data and use these results to make conclusions. Aha!Science reinforces fundamental science concepts through teacher-led instruction, and builds on these concepts through student-led learning and integration of the scientific method.
Summarizing & Note Taking
Enhance students' ability to synthesize information and organize it in a way that captures the main ideas and supporting details.
In both the offline activities and online Journal items, students practice experimentation, observation, and analysis. They discuss and summarize both process and findings, learning to synthesize this information into scientific conclusions. Integration of the scientific process into the Aha!Science curriculum reinforces students understanding of core concepts while encouraging them through example and application to become "science thinkers".
Reinforcing Effort & Providing Recognition
Enhance students' understanding of the relationship between effort and achievement by addressing students' attitudes and beliefs about learning. Provide students with rewards or praise for their accomplishments related to the attainment of a goal.
Positive reinforcement and formative feedback are integrated characteristics of the Aha!Science instructional approach. In small group or individual led lessons, students interact with a digital student coach, receiving information, help, and encouragement from this digital peer. Games provide an environment where students apply their understanding of science concepts in an authentic game setting. During play, they are encouraged to continue play through helpful feedback and expected and surprise rewards.
Homework & Practice
Extend the learning opportunities for students to practice, review, and apply knowledge.
Online access to all Aha!Science content makes it possible for teachers to assign any curriculum item to classes and individuals as homework. The offline activities provide the opportunity for teachers to explore hands-on science with their students and the chance for both students and teachers to create school-home and schoolcommunity connections through student worksheets and, project and extension ideas.
Enhance students' ability to represent and elaborate on knowledge using mental images.
Aha!Science provides visually rich animated instruction and interactive opportunities to students to illustrate examples and concepts in order to deepen understanding of science. Quizzes test students understanding through a variety of question types, including image driven multiple-choice, hotspot, and diagram based questions. Activities incorporate a variety of instructional techniques and project types, many of which involve construction of samples and models, drawing, creation and plotting of charts, and other hands-on learning.
Aha!Science includes multiple curriculum types in order to provide teachers with a variety of adaptable teaching tools and students with different learning styles high-quality, engaging information so they may succeed in science and highstakes exams.
Provide students with opportunities to interact with each other in groups in ways that enhance their learning.
Aha!Science content is designed for multiple instructional techniques. Students can work together in small groups on lessons and games and during activities. They are encouraged to work together to make observations, record results, and collectively come to conclusions. Integration of the scientific process into these activities turns students into science thinkers and practitioners while they are having fun learning about the world around them.
Setting Objectives & Providing Feedback
Provide students a direction for learning and information about how well they are performing relative to a particular learning goal so that they can improve their performance.
Aha!Science quizzes provide students with the opportunity to test both conceptual understanding and information recall as they prepare for high-stakes exams. Reports enabless teachers to track student progress through curriculum items and administrators and directors to view performance and progress of classes, schools, and districts.
Generating & Testing Hypotheses
Enhance students' understanding of and ability to use knowledge by engaging them in mental processes that involve making and testing hypotheses.
Aha!Science content integrates the scientific process into instruction, examples, student interactions, games, and inquiry-based activities. This complete immersion creates the foundation students need to become successful science achievers who are comfortable with the process of indentifying questions and discovering the path to learning about and finally answering these queries.
Cues, Questions, & Advance Organizers
Enhance students' ability to retrieve, use, and organize what they already know about a topic.
The Aha!Science instructional model scaffolds learning by introducing core topics in teacher-led instruction modules and drilling down to one or two key introduced concepts in student-led lessons. These science subjects are further explored through application and practice in games, simulations, and activities, where students are required to use what they've learned and build on what they know to succeed in both real world and digital tasks. Quizzes test both recall and conceptual understanding, giving students a platform to apply fundamental science knowledge to new scenarios and problems.
Bringing Students to Above Grade Level
Students using Aha!Science are nearly four times more likely than non-Aha!Science users to achieve above grade level scores in the end-of-grade state assessment.
Aha!Science made a dramatic difference for students at Pine Valley Elementary School in North Carolina. Students who use Aha!Science have a 75 percent likelihood of reaching above grade level in science. Just as significant, in an independent evaluation, for those students least prepared, 14 percent achieved above grade level.
Curriculum Built on the NSTA National Science Education Standards
Aha!Science units integrate the scientific process into instruction, examples, student interactions, games, and inquiry-based activities. This complete immersion creates the foundation students need to become successful science achievers who are comfortable with the process of identifying questions and discovering the path to learning about and finally answering these queries.
- Introduction to Life Sciences
- Life on Earth
- The Human Body
- Plant and Animal Biology
- Earth Systems and Cycles
- Introduction to Geology
- The Solar System
- Geology and Geological Processes
- Natural Resources
- Composition of the Solar System
- Formation of Geological Resources and Landforms
- Earth's Water Supply
- Natural Resources: Renewable, Non-renewable, and Inexhaustible
- A History of Life on Earth
- Force: Pushes and Pulls
- Introduction to Light
- Introduction to Simple Machines
- Types of Energy
- Light Energy
- States of Matter
- Introduction to Sound
- Chemistry and Matter
- Energy From the Sun and Other Sources
- Electromagnetic Spectrum
Digital Interactive Science Assignments for Individualized Learning
Each Aha!Science unit includes several interactive digital assignments for improving student understanding of a math topic. The Aha!Science curriculum has the following unique features.
- Digital coaches that provide students with emotionally consistent instruction and feedback whether they are repeating instruction, correcting student responses, or rewarding a correct answer.
- Integrates Science as Inquiry across all concepts.
- Flexible for use with whole class, small group and individual students.
- Multisensory experiences – visual, auditory, and interactive – to allow for richer, more complete learning.
- Multiple levels of immediate feedback, both corrective and rewarding.
Instruction Modules: Introduce Key Science Concepts in Whole-class Instruction
- Uses animation, graphics, and vocabulary development to deliver whole-class instruction of science concepts and procedures.
- Teachers introduce interactivity by pausing at any point to ask questions, jump between units, explore student understanding, and engage students in discussion.
Lessons: Student-led Interactive Science Concept Review and Fun Practice
- Targets key science concepts introduced in the related Instruction Module.
- Lessons are 6-8 minutes, then are directly followed by opportunities for students to practice their learning.
- Digital coaches deliver instruction, explicitly state the learning objective, and provide immediate feedback.
Games: Students Apply Conceptual Understanding and Problem-solving Skills in Multiple Science Topics
- Students build scientific fluency through application of science facts and concepts, as well as higher-order thinking and strategy.
- Increasing levels of difficulty require greater knowledge with each level.
- Data is saved for reporting on student, group, school or district.
Simulations: Engaging, Virtual Science Experiments and Explorations
- Provides students digital interactions to experiment and explore science concepts learned in the Instruction Modules and Lessons.
- Students work with digital manipulatives and variables to create different scientific outcomes, strengthening their understanding of the scientific method in relevant situations.
Quizzes: Evaluate Students' Understanding of Science Concepts Covered in the Curriculum
- Students practice retrieving information to enhance student recall, and ultimately to improve student performance on tests, including high-stakes assessments.
- Students get immediate "correct" or "incorrect" responses and can review their answers to see the correct answers once they complete the Quiz.
Activities: Printable PDFs Provide Experiments, Projects and Teacher-led Explorations
- Hands-on, inquiry-driven science projects allow students to practice observation, analysis, and summarization using common materials found at home and in the classroom.
- Extension ideas encourage students to bring science learning home and into their communities.
- Journal prompts to build connections between experimentation, exploration, and analysis.
- Life Science: Mealworm Metamorphosis (PDF) »
- Earth and Space Science: Get the Salt Out (PDF) »
- Physical Science: Find It (PDF) »
Journal: Students Reflect and Explore Their Learning Through Online Prompts and/or Questions
- Students demonstrate their understanding of the scientific method through reflection, including observation, analysis, and process summarization.
- Extend students’ hands-on learning into language arts and application of the scientific method.
- The Teacher can provide directive comments and feedback to the student before the Journal is submitted for grading.
Digital Elementary Life Science Curriculum
Within the Life Science Strand of Aha!Science, students develop observation and communication skills while exploring critical concepts in Life Science. Topics include the interaction between living things and their environments as well as the diversity and adaptation among plants, animals, and humans.
Life Science Themes:
- Photosynthesis and plants role in ecosystem
- Adaptations and species survival
- Classification of living organisms
- Systems of the human body
Introduction to Life Science: Grades 3 - 4
- Students learn how plants carry out photosynthesis and will identify the roles various plant parts play in growth, reproduction, and survival.
- They will also study different environments and the resources they provide that allow plants and animals to survive.
- In addition, they will discover ways in which adaptations help plants and animals survive.
Environments: Grades 4 - 5
- Learn about living and nonliving components in ecosystems and how organisms interact.
- Examine the roles of producers, consumers, and decomposers in food chains and food webs.
- Healthy ecosystems are balanced but can change due to natural events and human activities.
Life on Earth: Grades 4 - 5
- How adaptations help a species survive, reproduce, and occupy a particular niche in an ecosystem.
- Explore examples of structural and behavioral adaptations.
- Discover that some traits are learned and some are inherited.
The Human Body: Grades 4 - 5
- Students will learn how the digestive, urinary (excretory), circulatory, and respiratory systems in the human body work
Plant and Animal Biology: Grades 4 - 5
- Students will learn how living organisms are classified into five kingdoms and will discover how to use a classification key.
- Students will also identify the specialized structures that allow single-celled organisms, plants, and animals to carry out key life processes.
Digital Elementary Earth and Space Science Curriculum
Within the Earth Science strand of Aha!Science, students explore scientific concepts related to the basic structure of the Earth and the natural sequences and cycles that take place on Earth. Space science concepts include the place of the Sun, Earth, and other planets within the solar system, as well as how planetary movements create night and day, the seasons, and the phases of the Moon.
Earth and Space Science Themes:
- Renewable and nonrenewable resources
- Water cycle and weather patterns
- Rock cycle and soil formation
- Planets in the Solar System
- Seasons and phases of the moon
Astronomy: Grades 3 - 4
- Students learn the place of the Sun, Earth, and the other planets in our solar system.
- They will discover that the Earth, Moon, planets, and stars move in predictable ways and will learn the reasons for night and day, the seasons, and the phases of the Moon.
- They will also learn how telescopes are used to study objects in our solar system and beyond.
Earth Systems and Cycles: Grades 3 - 4
- Students will learn that day and night, the seasons, the water cycle, and the rock cycle are some of the natural sequences and cycles that take place on Earth.
Introduction to Geology: Grades 3 - 4
- Learn about the basic structure of the Earth and the various forces and processes involved in the formation of soil.
- They will discover why soil is important to plants and animals.
The Solar System: Grades 3 - 5
- Students will learn about the relationship between the Sun, Moon, and Earth.
- They will discover how they differ in size, location, and structure.
- They will also learn the causes of the seasons and the phases of the Moon.
Geology and Geological Processes: Grades 3 - 5
- Students will learn that minerals have properties that can be used to identify them.
- They will learn that rocks are made of minerals and that rocks change from one type to another in the rock cycle.
- Students will also learn about the forces and processes responsible for shaping Earth's landforms.
Weather: Grades 3 - 5
- Students will learn about the atmospheric conditions that determine weather.
- They will also learn that weather can be predicted by observing and measuring various atmospheric conditions.
Natural Resources: Grades 3 - 5
- Students will learn about renewable and nonrenewable resources.
- They will learn where the resources come from and how humans use them.
Composition of the Solar System: Grades 4 - 5
- Students will learn about the objects that compose the solar system and that gravity is the force that keeps objects in the solar system in orbit.
Formation of Geological Resources and Landforms: Grades 4 - 5
- Students will learn how fossil fuels and minerals form.
- They will also explore ways in which geological resources are used and learn how to identify minerals.
- In addition, students will learn about common landforms and the forces that caused them to form.
Meteorology: Grades 4 - 5
- Students will learn about the various factors that create weather and will discover how meteorologists analyze weather conditions to predict the weather.
Oceanography: Grades 4 - 5
- Students will learn that most of the Earth's surface is covered by oceans.
- They will discover that the ocean contains a variety of organisms and geological features.
- They will explore the zones of the ocean and learn that amounts of sunlight and temperature decrease with depth, while pressure increases with depth.
Earth's Water Supply: Grades 4 - 5
- Students will learn how Earth's water moves through the water cycle, focusing in particular on evaporation, condensation and precipitation.
- They will also discover that Earth's supply of fresh water is limited and should be used wisely.
Natural Resources: Renewable, Non-renewable, and Inexhaustible: Grades 4 - 5
- Students will learn which natural resources as renewable, nonrenewable, and inexhaustible.
- They will also explore ways in which to conserve resources.
A History of Life on Earth: Grades 4 - 5
- Students will learn about how the Earth and the life on it have changed over time.
- They will also how scientists piece together clues to better understand Earth's history.
Digital Elementary Physical Science Curriculum
Within the Physical Science strand of Aha!Science, students will explore the physical properties and behaviors of light, matter, electricity, and magnets, as well as investigate Newtonian laws of forces and motion and simple machines.
Physical Science Themes:
- Physics and behavior of light
- Newtonian laws of motion
- Electricity and circuits
- Magnets and magnetic fields
- Chemical elements and periodic table
- States and characteristics of matter
Energy: Grades 3 - 4
- Students learn what energy is and will identify sources of energy.
- They will investigate different forms such as light, heat, and chemical energy.
- They will discover that forms of energy can move or change from one form to another.
Force: Pushes and Pulls: Grades 3 - 4
- Students will learn how force and motion are related.
- They will also expore the different ways that forces affect the motion and direction of objects.
Introduction to Light: Grades 3 - 4
- Students will learn about sources of light and that light travels at high speed in straight lines.
- They will discover how light behaves when it encounters transparent and opaque materials, and how shadows are formed
Matter: Grades 3 - 4
- Students will learn the three states of matter and their characteristic properties.
- All matter is made of atoms that can join together to form molecules.
- Adding or removing thermal energy is what causes matter to change form.
- Also, that substances can be combined to form mixtures or compounds.
Introduction to Simple Machines: Grades 3 - 4
- Students will learn about the six types of simple machines and how they transfer energy into motion.
- They will construct and use simple machines.
- They will also learn that complex machines consist of simple machines working together as a system.
Electricity: Grades 4 - 5
- Students will learn about the nature of electricity, electric currents, and electromagnets.
- They will discover how circuits work and learn about devices that affect the flow of electricity.
- They will also learn that electrical energy can be converted to other forms of energy.
Types of Energy: Grades 3 - 5
- Students will learn to distinguish between potential energy and kinetic energy and will discover that energy can change from one form to another.
Light Energy: Grades: 3 - 5
- Students will learn that white light is composed of all colors of light and that different colors of light have different wavelengths.
- They will discover how the behavior of light allows us to see objects and different colors.
- They will also learn how different kinds of surfaces reflect and absorb light.
Magnetism: Grades 4 - 5
- Students will explore the properties and behaviors of magnets and magnetic fields, including the Earth and its magnetic field.
- They will learn how a magnetic compass can be used to find directions because it aligns with Earth's magnetic North Pole and will build their own compasses.
States of Matter: Grades 4 - 5
- Students will learn about the defining properties of the three states of matter.
- They will discover that different types of matter vary in their ability to transfer heat and in their densities.
Introduction to Sound: Grades 3 - 5
- Students will learn how sound travels through different media.
- They will discover how and why sounds differ and will explore ways in which sound is used by animals and humans.
Chemistry and Matter: Grade 5
- Students will learn that elements are made of one kind of atom and how elements are arranged in the Periodic Table.
- They will also learn that elements can combine to form a compound that has properties that are different from the elements from which it is composed.
Energy From the Sun and Other Sources: Grade 4 - 5
- Students will learn how people use solar energy and other forms of energy.
- They will explore specific uses of solar energy to produce thermal energy and to produce electrical energy.
Electromagnetic Spectrum: Grade 4 - 5
- Students will learn about the behavior of light.
- They will discover that light can be reflected, refracted, and diffracted, depending on the material the light strikes.
- They will learn that visible light is just one of the forms of light that make up the electromagnetic spectrum.
Digital Science Curriculum for Elementary School
Aha!Science Elementary School Edition is a supplemental online curriculum for grades 3-5. It offers teachers a digital resource to engage and motivate students with science, and to build the foundation for success in later years.
Save Time with Ready-to-go Instruction Modules
In whole-class instruction, teachers can introduce key science concepts, pause and restart the instruction, direct discussion, navigate the presentation slides, ask questions, and engage students.
Students Apply Their Scientific Conceptual Understanding in Interactive Science Games
Students build scientific fluency through application of science facts and concepts, as well as higher-order thinking and strategy. Increasing levels of difficulty require greater knowledge.
Helping Texas Teachers Meet TEKS for Science Standards
Texas teachers face increasingly rigorous standards in science with the most recent TEKS Science Standards, adopted in 2009. Learning.com supports teachers to help their students meet these standards with effective and engaging science curriculum for grades 3-5 – fully aligned to the TEKS.
Elementary Science Curriculum Aligned to TEKS
In the Aha!Science for TEKS, units align to the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills for Science 2009 standards for grades 3-5.
Flexible and Teacher-directed
In whole-class instruction, teachers can introduce key science concepts, pause and restart the instruction, direct discussion, navigate the presentation slides, ask questions, and engage students.
Re-ignite Students Natural Curiosity Through Real-world Application of Science Concepts
With Aha!Science games, students build scientific fluency through application of science facts and concepts, as well as higher-order thinking and strategy. Increasing levels of difficulty require greater knowledge.
2009 Technology & Learning 2009 Award of Excellence for Aha!Science Whiteboard Edition
Implementing Aha!Science in the Classroom
Step into Troy Thams' fifth-grade class in Sioux City Central Elementary School to hear why he finds Aha!Science so valuable, and why his students love it!
I wish every teacher had the advantage of Aha!Science for teaching. It is that visual piece. It gives kids that 1:1 interaction where they can learn at their own pace.